The way to obtain true, optimal health is through aligning our mind, body, and movement. At least, that is what today’s guest believes! If we want to change the quality of our lives, Aaron Alexander maintains that we must first change the way that we move through our lives. Aaron is a pioneering manual therapist and movement coach, founder and creator of the Align Method, author of The Align Method: 5 Movement Principles for a Stronger Body, Sharper Mind, and Stress-Proof Life, and host of the Align Podcast. His mission is to inspire millions of driven individuals to confidently re-inhabit their bodies and be strong, flexible, and pain-free by moving functionally during every daily task. In today’s episode, he shares the value of trusting in the innate intelligence of your body and how to leverage the evolutionarily preserved mechanisms you naturally have access to through functional movement. We also touch on social media, cold water immersion, and ‘folded fin’ syndrome, as well as the benefits of just going the heck outside and simply getting up and down off the ground, plus so much more! On a global scale, Aaron hopes to reverse the effects of chair-slumping and screen-staring by helping you build your own momentary physical practice, so make sure not to miss today’s insightful episode to find out how!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Find out why Aaron does what he does and how it helps him “scratch his own itches.”
- How to know which itch to scratch; the importance of staying actively engaged.
- Why Aaron believes we have fallen out of touch with mindfulness practices.
- Aaron shares his opinions on marketing, virtue signaling, and social media.
- Finding balance within before reaching for exogenous solutions and trusting in the innate intelligence of your body.
- The importance of being honest about your desires when it comes to your physical health.
- Why Aaron believes that there is a time and place for all movement techniques.
- Leveraging evolutionarily preserved mechanisms through functional movement.
- Learn why social media is like ‘eating the menu’ without actually having a meal.
- Moving through various autonomic expressions with agility by being present.
- How to become more present in your everyday environment using cold water immersion.
- Aaron emphasizes the benefits of being in nature; why you should go the heck outside!
- What the Align Method is; the user manual for retuning your environment so that just existing makes you happier and healthier.
- The ways that we continually attune to our environment and respond to social hierarchies.
- How your body compensates to find balance; the local impact of the position of your eyes.
- What Aaron means when he says humans suffer from a type of ‘folded fin’ syndrome.
- Ask yourself: what is it that you actually want and desire? What is fulfilling to you?
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
The Align Method
Aaron Alexander on Twitter
Aaron Alexander on Instagram
Zach Bush MD
Know Your Physio PodcastSupport the show